Friday, May 27, 2016



27 May 2016

Hi Everyone:

Armed Forces Day passed a week ago and Memorial Day is just ahead. It's enough to make one nostalgic for time spent in the military. No disrespect meant to those who served their country for 20 or 30 years, but I don't often feel nostalgia for my paltry two years, especially the part spent in Korea. I'm as patriotic as the next guy, which means that my wife (who also served) and I will put out a number of flags to mark the holiday. My good friend, Frank Lohan, usually goes to the local cemetery. I went with him once, it was okay. I suppose I'd feel different if I belonged to one of the veteran's organizations, but I've never been much of a joiner. About the only organization that I joined of my own free will was The Boy Scouts and that was about three quarter's of a century ago. ( I don't attend any of their function either.)

I must say that as I have looked back over the years at my military service, I have come to the conclusion that it was one of the most meaningful things that I have ever done. I feel that somehow my being there made a difference. A lot of ex-military owe their education to the GI Bill. The military also offered basic courses for some whose education was lacking. I recall using my military service to obtain financing for a home. Most important of all, both my wife and I now obtain virtually all our medical care at the VA hospital. That alone has been worth every day either of us served our nation.

Many of you are aware that I no longer maintain my website. I hope to utilize this blog more frequently than I have in the past and I sure hope that you will check it out frequently. It is here that I will share with you my thoughts on writing and anything else that I deem worthy of sharing.

I have been at odds with my publisher for some months. However I did manage to obtain a small supply of my published novel, ALEX, PEANUT BUTTER AND ME. It's overarching theme is that sometimes the most insignificant act inflicts the gravest wound. It is a story of today's turbulent world. The posted retail price is $12.95 but while they last, I will part with my supply at the discounted price of just $10.00. It's a story you'll enjoy. It also makes a great gift and yes, I will sign each copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment